Friday, May 20, 2011

Freedom Riders

I didn't know there was going to be a freedom riders exhibit the day I went to take a tour at WGBH. While my group tried to touch the awards on the wall without the receptionist noticing I sneaked off to the exhibit. There was a new type of audio tour they were implementing. Visitors could call a number and enter an extension to hear freedom riders recount personal experiences. I didn't have time there so I wrote down the number and a couple extensions to try later. When I called later that night I cried. On my personal cell phone, the one I use to call my mom, friends, the pizza place, I heard the voice of Hank Thomas. He told me a story from his journey as a freedom rider. It felt like he was actually on the other line. It was as if I had asked him about it as I ask my sister about her soccer games. It was quite a moving experience

No comments: