Sunday, January 20, 2008

S.O.S. v1.4: Of Secrets and Sliderules

sorry...

Dear Marc,
Upon finding this, you must have found that it occupies the place of your now missing sliderule. I apologize for taking it, along with various other items among your belongings. I've neglected the favor of making you a list simply because I am not sure what i will need on my journey. I travel south to a place you may well know. Actually, it is thanks to you that I will now be enrolled in school as Marc Redstone the Second. I appreciate all you have taught me these few years. You have done me many services, but I need to ask you for one more. My father will be distressed at my disappearance. I must ask you to send word to him that I have eloped. That prospect will make him very happy as well as keep you and Mammy out of trouble. Tell him it was a rich handsome gentleman like he always wanted for his only daughter. You might even suggest it was by your friendship I came to know this gentleman of repute. This might finally sway father to sponsor you in your dream of moving west. I hope to see you again, but as for now know that you have sponsored my dreams; Marc's, rather my, studies begin in two weeks. Forever in your debt, and forever your friend. -Dot

"That's it!" said Marc when he finished? "You can't just ride off like usual and make me pick up the slack!"
Dot faltered at his uncharacteristic agressiveness.
"I at least deserve a better explanation, or one last conversation, you owe me that much Dot... there is so much I've been wanting to talk about with you.." said Marc, falling back into his usual submissiveness.

2 comments:

Luisa Perkins said...

Fascinating; I look forward to more.

Elizabeth said...

Yes, Dot, explain! Why, oh why?